We're an affiliate
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a small commission from the links on this page with no additional cost to you. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Do you want your Dodge Ram 1500 to handle and ride better on any terrain? We know that different Ram truck owners have varying opinions on aftermarket shocks.
You should definitely consider our recommendations before you plunge into making your decision. These shocks are a great addition to your suspension system and will last for years.
After all, we all want to choose the right product that will bring the most value to our vehicle, don’t we?
That’s why we decided to make this non-biased list of the best Dodge Ram 1500 shock absorbers on the market!
In a hurry? Check out our top 3 picks that we highly recommend!
|Image Preview||Product Name||Links|
|Bilstein B6 4600 Front And Rear Shock Absorbers||Buy On Amazon Now!|
|Detroit Axle- 4WD Coil Springs And Shock Absorbers||Buy On Amazon Now!|
|Rancho Rs5000x Gas Shocks Set||Buy On Amazon Now!|
Best Shocks for Dodge Ram 1500
1. Bilstein 5100 Monotube Gas Shocks Rear Pair
Designed to be compatible with Dodge Ram 1500 4WD models from the years 2009 to 2016.
Whether for daily driving on regular paved roads or off-road conditions, Bilstein has designed shocks for your Dodge Ram that can withstand the most rugged and the most potholed scenarios in your journeys.
Destined for maximum Lifted Performance, they are high gas pressure monotube shocks that are perfect for your height elevated Dodge Ram truck. Bilstein 5100 features a 46-millimeter digressive piston that has a self-adjusting deflective disc valving.
If your Dodge Ram does the occasional heavy hauling and towing or off-road use, Bilstein 5100 offers exceptional dampening performance but at the same time, provides a comfortable street ride for you and your passengers. As if you don’t feel anything at all, in a long journey.
- Multi-layer zinc-plated steel body
- Triple C Technology coating
- Easy to install direct bolt-on tech (no modification needed)
- Lifetime Warranty
- Best after-sales customer support
- Only 2 rear shocks for your purchase
2. Bilstein B6 4600 Front And Rear Shock Absorbers
Perfectly designed for older models of Dodge Ram 1500 2WD, from 2002 to 2008 versions. You’ll be getting a complete set of 2 front and 2 rear shock absorbers for your mid-sized Dodge Ram truck that’s already more than a decade old, but still alive and kicking off-road terrain.
These Bilstein shocks feature a monotube engineering design that displays consistent fade-free performance.
- Has a unique digressive piston that is velocity sensitive as it reacts to changing and extreme road conditions
- Aftermarket shocks that have a distinct advantage in improving ride quality, comfort, and handling
- Complete front and rear shocks set
- All necessary components like bushings, reservoir clamps, washers, and nuts are included with your purchase
- Factory shock mounting bolts can be reused
- Bilstein Limited Lifetime Warranty covered
- Designed only for rear-wheel-drive trucks
- Excludes Mega Cab models of Dodge Ram 1500
3. Rancho Rs5000x Gas Shocks Set
If you have a Dodge Ram 1500 4WD with a 1 to 2 inches lift, and is a model from the years 2002 up to 2005, then, this is the preferred aftermarket gas shocks set to install on your more than a decade old truck.
If you still wouldn’t want to let go of your still dynamic and in perfect condition Dodge Ram 1500, you would desire to keep it in top shape. Its maintenance includes the replacement of its worn-out factory or aftermarket shocks that have lived out their service. The Rancho RS5000X is strongly recommended to be the truck’s new shock absorbers underneath.
The essence of these new and advanced shocks from famed off-road shocks manufacturer Rancho is it’s distinctive and patented rebound valving system with an advanced compression phase of the shock absorber. These shocks are gas pressurized to 150 PSI which provides a mild boost of spring rate to the truck.
- Its twin tube, gas pressurized feature minimizes air to oil pressure that can cause shock fade and foaming
- The RS5000X has a relatively larger body of 2 ¼ inch diameter compared to competitors, which permits increased fluid capacity to operate at a cooler temperature
- Increased vehicle control and performance at different speeds and terrains because of its larger shock body
- The combination of all-weather fluid and a larger shock body can make it withstand temperatures between -40 and 248 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Complete set of 4 shocks
- Rancho Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Rancho 90 Day Ride Guarantee
- Only fits for 4WD Dodge Rams.
4. Rough Country 3.5-5.5″ N3 Rear Shocks
They are superb 10 stage variable valving, high-pressure nitrogen-charged shocks that are customized fit for 2009 up to 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD trucks with 3.5-5″ lift.
You get a pair of rear shocks which are exterior painted with eye-catching metallic silver paint. Rough Country shocks offer a fantastic blend of smooth highway ride quality and offroad action through a durable 18 mm spring-loaded piston rod and fast cooling 54 mm shock body.
- 36kN Tensile Strength which accommodates a long lifespan of very useful vibration dampening
- Natural rubber bushings for better absorption
- Dissipates heat fast
- With military standard fluid rated to – 40 C
- Only rear shocks
5. Fox 2.0 Performance Coil-over Front Pair Shocks
Extremely compatible with truck models 2009 up to 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD gas. Makes you appreciate your old Ram truck more with an invigorated suspension component underneath such as this quality Fox coil-over front side shocks.
These Fox shocks have a long list of features which includes a precision, metal impact extruded aluminum body. It has increased cooling capacity and rust resistance. Even its upper mount includes a composite bushing that effectively isolates noise and vibration.
- Locking, spring preload rings allow easy ride height and preload adjustment and deliver optimal spring rate
- Bolts on easily to the specified Dodge Ram models allowed (with no modifications needed) and have the effect of leveling your truck
- Inside is an internal reservoir with Internal Floating Piston (IFP) Monotube design which separates shock oil from the high pressure, nitrogen-charged gas chamber
- IFP eliminates oil aeration, which induces maximum performance from the factory-tuned, precision valving
- FOX one year warranty against defects and premature failure
- Front pair only
6. BDS Pair Of Front And Rear Nitro Series Premium Shock Absorbers
They are shocks that are customized for your older versions of the Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck from the years 1994 up to 2001. Two decades or more of road service to you and the previous truck owners (if you’re not the original one).
But you refuse to let go of your almost vintage Dodge Ram truck because it has been reliable to you, whether on smooth roads or off the beaten track. It has always proven to be a trusty journey companion.
Now, wear and tear have taken its course, and the old factory shocks are dilapidated. These BDS complete pairs of front and rear nitro charged shocks are just the components that you need to make your journeys comfortable and worry-free again.
They look good in a durable metallic silver finish and their valving is customized for better control. With a high-tech pressurized, nitrogen-charged, twin-tube design, they give you lightning-fast and quick reacting dampening, as your traveled terrain changes and evolves.
- High-end performance at an affordable price
- 10 Stage velocity sensitive valving which enables quick dampening adjustment
- Resistant to rock chips and corrosion due to 2″ body, large 1-⅜” fluon banded piston, self-lubricating seals, and 14 mm hardened chrome shaft
- Replacement and installation is easy because of polyurethane bushings and metal sleeves
- Complete set of front and rear shocks
- Brand not that well known
7. Detroit Axle 4wd 5 Lug Front Struts With Coil Springs And Shock Absorbers And Sway Bars
Wow, what a bargain! For some other suspension components, you only get shocks or struts. But this time, with this Detroit Axle kit, it’s 8 pieces of front struts, shocks, coil springs, and sway bars. Almost complete set of suspension components, customized for 2006 to 2008 Dodge Ram 1500.
Special mention goes to the coil spring which is made of premium-grade steel-based material. This guarantees a long life span for your coil spring. And it substantially reduces vibration to enhance your ride quality on your Dodge Ram truck.
This Detroit Axle set also has a rubber dust boot which puts away road debris from the absorber tube. This greatly extends the life span of the assembly.
- The piston rod is manufactured using high-frequency heat treatment, giving it high rigidity and toughness
- Oil hydraulic circuit system reduces truck vibration and promotes safety and comfort
- The low mounting bracket will move along with the spindle knuckle. The strut then absorbs the vertical movement from the tires as it hits the road
- Easy to install with everything you need for strut replacement. No more need for special tools or coil spring compressor
- 10-year warranty
- Customized only for 2006 to 2008 Dodge Ram models
8. Roadfar 4x Front-rear Struts Shock Absorbers
This completes 4 sides of the struts and shocks needs of your vintage Dodge Ram 1500. The kit is a custom fit for models from the years 1994 to 2001. Meaning, some Dodge Ram trucks which are nearly 3 decades old, are still up and running because the owners have been diligent enough to keep up with their maintenance.
And this includes the replacement of worn-out struts and shocks, and this Roadfar kit fills up this vacuum of the need for old Dodge Rams which are still roaming the streets.
What this Roadfar kit can promise you is equal or greater aftermarket parts performance when compared to factory shocks and struts. When you purchase it, you can avoid oil leakage and abnormal noise coming from underneath your truck. And better stability, as well as comfort is expected.
- They are stock parts direct replacement
- Easy Installation because customized to Dodge Ram specs
- Long term durability
- Complete shocks and struts for front and rear
- Relatively unproven suspension components brand
9. 2 Drive Tech America (dta) Load Adjusting Rear Shocks With Coil Springs Gas Charged
Customized for nearly a decade old up to 3 years old Dodge Ram 1500 trucks which need quality aftermarket replacement shocks after years of reliable service on any terrain. 2002 up to 2008 Ram 1500 models are perfect fits for these load adjusting shocks, especially if your truck regularly carries heavy loads or tow trailers.
These DTA shocks are manufactured to exceed original equipment or factory shocks standards. They have a nitrogen twin-tube engineered design that performs a quick dampening response.
The self-adjusting valve system makes you confident even when you drive through unpredictable terrain because these DTA shocks are ultra-sensitive to changing road conditions. That’s why you’ll always be sure to experience a smooth and controlled driving experience.
- ISO/TS 16949:2002 quality certified
- 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first) limited warranty
- NOK multi-lip piston seal effectively protects to prevent outside dust and dirt from interfering with the shocks’ performance
- Better corrosion resistance because high-strength steel rod is micro-polished with double chrome plate and finished roughness is less than 0.08 um.
- All-weather shocks with oil which can withstand temperatures from – 45° to 100° Celsius
- Only rear shocks
10. Monroe Shocks And Struts Load Adjusting
According to customer reviews, these Monroe aftermarket shocks are perfect fits for 1996 to 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks. They are ideal for light trucks that carry or tow varying loads.
Monroe adjusting shocks have a heavy gauge calibrated spring that adjusts flexibly to different road and weight conditions, up to 1,200 pounds. You get extra control when the going gets tough on the road. This means, the full valving feature automatically adjusts to extreme journey conditions.
- Relatively affordable, priced under $100
- All-weather fluid has special modifiers that withstand extreme coldness and hotness.
- PTFE banded piston reduce friction between it and the pressure tube to affect responsiveness to changing road surfaces
- Nitrogen gas-charged shocks to maintain a tight grip between road and tire enabling improved ride comfort and handling (reduced aeration and shock fade)
- Made in China
Things you should consider before choosing shocks for your Dodge Ram 1500 – Buyer’s Guide
4WD OR 2WD?
Most of the shock kits recommended here are designed as aftermarket replacements for Dodge Ram 1500 4WD models yet a few of them are only for 2WD variants. But there are some which are very comprehensive, adaptable to both 4WD and 2WD. Be cautious about this feature of your truck before proceeding with your purchase.
Need 2 Shocks Or All 4 Shocks?
There are times when your Dodge Ram needs only the replacement of the front or only the rear shocks. When you buy, make it a minimum of two, meaning either 2 front shocks or 2 rear shocks because they should wear equally or your ride will not be in tandem comfortably on all sides when you are on the road. When you only need 3, make the wise decision of replacing all 4 shocks because of the same reason of equal wear and tear.
In our list of recommended shocks, some are just rear shocks, others are just front shocks, while a few have kits that are for all 4 sides. What matters is what you need and if your desired shocks are a custom fit for your Dodge Ram’s model and year variant.
Year Model Of Dodge Ram Truck
In our list, would you believe, some shock brands specialize in 2 to 3-decade variants of the Dodge Ram 1500 truck. But most of them are designed as aftermarket replacements for the shocks of a decade-old or younger Dodge Rams. Know the true age of your truck so that you’ll know how to narrow down your choices.
Reputation Of Brand
The quality and reputation of the shock brands being decided upon will always be a factor. Some brands are always on the lips and minds of truck owners who value their ride comfort and handling while on the road.
When an individual buys a truck, almost always, towing and hauling will be the purpose that the person has in mind for his or her Dodge Ram 1500. Some shock brands have always been identified with off-road and some heavy towing and hauling and they have achieved a cult following along with truck owners.
Place Of Manufacture
Some of the shocks listed here are manufactured in Mexico or China. But some brands have maintained their factories in the USA and there are Dodge Ram loyalists who are only trustful of trucks that are made Stateside.
Dodge Ram truck owners, whenever they decide to seek out replacement shocks for their vehicle, wouldn’t want to have headaches in the installation. Look for aftermarket shocks that are direct fits with minimum tools or no tools required for installation.
FAQ’s About Dodge Ram 1500 Shocks
Q: What makes Dodge Ram owners crazy about their shocks?
A: One of the top reasons why the Dodge Ram has become one of the top 3 trucks in the USA today is the premium quality of its shocks. The factory shocks have Active Level four-corner air suspension as an attractive feature. It automatically levels the pickup truck based on the load it is carrying.
That’s why it’s imperative, when replacing the factory shocks, to install replacement aftermarket shocks that equals or exceeds in quality of the original shocks in terms of ride and handling quality.
Q: How long do Dodge Ram 1500 shocks last?
A: There really is no replacement schedule, but it depends on your usage and how frequently you use your truck on off-road terrain and often it tows and carries heavy loads. These factors exact a burden on your Ram shocks even though they are designed to be punched black and blue on the road.
Bad driving habits can also shorten the shocks under your Ram. But as a basis, your truck’s shocks should be replaced somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 miles of travel.
What I recommend (Final Thoughts)
As Dodge Ram 1500 truck owners, we have them in different variants and year models. We could have acquired them as pre-used or as brand new. We either have a 4WD or 2WD Dodge Ram.
And we also have different life situations wherein some of us regularly drive our truck on smooth paved roads while others live in the rural areas and bounce their Rams into potholed and rocky terrain and make them tow and carry heavy loads.
And finally, others who live in the city, drive their Rams on neat streets on weekdays and punish their shocks on weekend escapades out in the wild.
Get my point Guys? And additionally, when you’re thinking of replacing your shocks, it’s either you only need 2 front shocks or 2 rear shocks. It’s always a minimum of 2. Or, you may need to replace all 4 shocks. So this means, Folks, the shocks that you will choose from our list here, really depend on the needs of your particular Dodge Ram 1500 truck.
I don’t own a Ram myself, but a close friend does, and he wants me to recommend aftermarket shocks for him. He owns a 4WD Dodge Ram 1500 acquired as a second owner (pre-used). It’s a 2008 model and after I checked the undersides, I believe he needs to replace all 4 sides.
If you look at our list, they’re mostly just rear or front shocks, so these items are checked off our choices because my friend needs a complete set of 4 shocks. There are only 2 shock sets there that offer a complete 4 side kit – Bilstein 4600 and Detroit Axle. And that left us with only 2 choices that could be compatible with what my buddy needs.
It is becoming more clear at this point what is the winner. Unfortunately, despite being a very good brand, the Bilstein 4600 only caters to Dodge Ram 1500 trucks that are 2WD. And boom! Detroit Axle is right on target. It’s not only a complete set of 4 shocks. The kit also includes sway bars and coil springs. How nice! And it’s specified they’re perfect custom fits for the Dodge Ram 1500 4WD. Everything falls into place. And Detroit Axle is a very respectable shocks brand.
You see, my friends, get a set of shocks for your dependable Dodge Ram 1500 that fits your specs. And when you choose among 2 or more brands, that’s a luxury already. Take your time.